A dog with a concerned expression looking at apple seeds, indicating it's toxic for dogs.

Can Dogs Eat Apple Seeds?

No, dogs should not eat apple seeds. Apple seeds contain amygdalin, which can release cyanide when chewed and digested. While a few seeds won’t cause harm, larger quantities can pose serious health risks, including cyanide poisoning. It’s safest to remove the core and seeds before giving your dog apple slices.

A photo of Stefan Stumpfl, the co-author of this article.

By Stefan Stumpfl, in collaboration with Dr. Ali Raza.

Updated on Jun 18, 2024

Did You Know?

If a dog accidentally consumes apple seeds in small quantities, it may not show immediate symptoms, but repeated exposure or large amounts can be extremely dangerous.

Apple Seeds



Rating: 1 out of 5 stars🍏


Rating: 1 out of 5 stars🍪


Rating: 1 out of 5 stars👍

Feeding Frequency


Allergic Risk


Why Are Apple Seeds Bad for Dogs?

Apple seeds are harmful due to their cyanogenic glycosides content, which can produce cyanide upon digestion. Cyanide is a potent toxin that can interfere with your dog's ability to consume oxygen. Even though a few seeds might not show immediate effects, cumulative exposure can lead to severe outcomes like respiratory failure or even death.

How Many Apple Seeds Can Dogs Eat?

Ideally, none. Even though it might take many seeds to cause cyanide poisoning, why risk it? If your dog accidentally eats one or two seeds, it’s generally not a reason to panic but, to be safe, always remove the apple cores and seeds before sharing apple slices with your dog.

Similar Toxic Products

When considering what treats to give your furry friend, be cautious of other foods containing seeds or pits that could be harmful:

  • Cherry Pits: Also contain cyanogenic glycosides.
  • Peach Pits: Present a choking hazard and contain harmful substances.
  • Apricot Pits: Similar to peaches, they contain substances that could be toxic.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Apple Seeds?

First, stay calm. If your dog has ingested just a couple of seeds, it’s probably fine, but you should monitor them closely. For larger quantities, call your vet immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting unless directed by a professional, as improper methods can cause more harm than good.

Signs and Symptoms of Apple Seed Poisoning in Dogs

Watch for the following symptoms if you suspect your dog might have cyanide poisoning due to apple seeds:

  • Weakness or Lethargy
  • Panting or Difficulty Breathing
  • Drooling
  • Seizures

How Long After Eating Apple Seeds Will a Dog Get Sick?

Symptoms can appear within a few minutes to several hours after ingestion depending on the quantity consumed and the dog’s size.

When to Contact Your Vet for Advice?

If you notice any above symptoms or even suspect that your dog has consumed a substantial amount of apple seeds, contact your vet immediately. Prompt action can be crucial to your dog's health.

How to Treat Apple Seed Poisoning in Dogs?

Treatment for cyanide poisoning: can involve administering specific antidotes, oxygen therapy, and supportive care such as IV fluids. The vet may perform gastric lavage to remove toxins from your dog’s stomach. The treatment's length and complexity depend on the severity of poisoning and your dog's overall health.

Cost of treatment: can be high, varying with the required medical interventions and hospitalization duration. Pet insurance can significantly alleviate these costs, making it a handy tool for responsible pet owners.

What are Healthy Alternatives?

Here are some safe and tasty alternatives to apple seeds that dogs can enjoy:

  • Apple Slices (without seeds): They’re crunchy, sweet, and full of vitamins.
  • Carrot Sticks: Low calories and full of fiber, perfect for a healthy snack.
  • Blueberries: Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, great for a treat or training reward.


In summary, while apples are a great snack for dogs, apple seeds are a no-go. Always remove the core and seeds before sharing apples with your furry friend. When in doubt, consult your vet to ensure your dog’s treats are both safe and healthy. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!