A dog with a concerned expression looking at green onions, indicating it's toxic for dogs.

Can Dogs Eat Green Onions?

No, dogs should definitely not eat green onions. This vegetable is toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems, such as gastrointestinal distress and damage to the red blood cells, leading to anemia. Even small amounts can be harmful, so it's best to keep green onions out of your dog's diet entirely.

A photo of Stefan Stumpfl, the co-author of this article.

By Stefan Stumpfl, in collaboration with Dr. Ali Raza.

Updated on Jun 16, 2024

Did You Know?

Green onions, also known as scallions, are part of the allium family, which is highly toxic to dogs.

Green Onions



Rating: 1 out of 5 stars๐Ÿ


Rating: 2 out of 5 stars๐Ÿช๐Ÿช


Rating: 1 out of 5 stars๐Ÿ‘

Feeding Frequency


Allergic Risk


Why Are Green Onions Bad for Dogs?

Green onions contain compounds known as thiosulfates, which are highly toxic to dogs. When ingested, these compounds can destroy red blood cells, causing hemolytic anemia. Additionally, dogs may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. This toxicity is not limited to raw onions; cooked, powdered, and even dehydrated onions are equally dangerous.

How Many Green Onions Can Dogs Eat?

None. There's no safe amount of green onions for dogs. Even small quantities can lead to significant health issues. The safest approach is to prevent any access to green onions, whether in raw form, as a garnish, or in cooked dishes.

Common Misconceptions

There's a myth that small amounts of green onions arenโ€™t harmful to larger dog breeds. This is false. No matter the size or breed of your dog, green onions remain toxic and should be strictly avoided. Another misconception is that cooking green onions can neutralize their toxicity, but this is also untrue.

Similar Toxic Products

Green onions aren't alone in their toxicity to dogs; they share this trait with several other foods and ingredients:

  • Garlic: Another member of the allium family, equally toxic.
  • Chives: Often used as a garnish, but just as dangerous.
  • Onion powder: Commonly found in processed foods, and just as toxic as its raw form.
  • Leeks: Yet another allium family member toxic to dogs.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Green Onions

If your dog ingests green onions, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not attempt to induce vomiting unless specifically instructed by a vet. In the meantime, keep a close eye on your dog's behavior and prepare for a quick trip to the animal hospital.

Signs and Symptoms of Green Onion Poisoning in Dogs

Be vigilant for symptoms that indicate green onion toxicity:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Rapid or irregular heartbeat
  • Disinterest in food

How Long After Eating Green Onions Will a Dog Get Sick?

Symptoms may appear within a few hours but can take up to several days to manifest. Early detection is crucial for effective treatment.

When to Contact Your Vet for Advice?

Contact your vet as soon as you suspect your dog has eaten green onions. Don't delay.

How to Treat Green Onion Poisoning in Dogs

A veterinarian will typically start with inducing vomiting (if within a short window of ingestion) and administer activated charcoal to limit toxin absorption. IV fluids, oxygen therapy, or even a blood transfusion could be necessary for severe cases. Treatment may last several days, depending on the severity of symptoms.

The costs can add up quickly, which is why having pet insurance can be a lifesaver. Treatments for toxin ingestion can be expensive, but with insurance, you can manage these costs more easily.

What are Healthy Alternatives?

If you're looking for safe and healthy alternatives to treat your dog, consider:

  • Carrots: Crunchy, nutritious, and great for teeth.
  • Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants.
  • Pumpkin: Good for digestion and low in calories.


In summary, green onions are a big no-go for dogs. The risks far outweigh any perceived benefits. Always check with your vet if you have any doubts about what's safe for your furry friend. Stay informed and keep those toxic foods out of reach!