A dog with a concerned expression looking at sour patch kids, indicating it's toxic for dogs.

Can Dogs Eat Sour Patch Kids?

No, dogs should not eat Sour Patch Kids. These sugary candies are not dog-friendly due to their high sugar content, artificial colors, and flavors. Consuming Sour Patch Kids can lead to various health issues for dogs, including dental problems, obesity, and potentially life-threatening complications like pancreatitis.

A photo of Stefan Stumpfl, the co-author of this article.

By Stefan Stumpfl, in collaboration with Dr. Ali Raza.

Updated on Jun 25, 2024

Did You Know?

Sour Patch Kids are high in sugar, which can lead to obesity and diabetes in dogs.

Sour Patch Kids



Rating: 1 out of 5 stars๐Ÿ


Rating: 2 out of 5 stars๐Ÿช๐Ÿช


Rating: 1 out of 5 stars๐Ÿ‘

Feeding Frequency


Allergic Risk


Why Are Sour Patch Kids Bad for Dogs?

Sour Patch Kids are laden with sugar and artificial ingredients, neither of which are suitable for a dog's digestive system. Excessive sugar intake can cause spikes in blood sugar levels, leading to diabetes over time. Artificial colors and sweeteners may cause gastrointestinal upset and allergic reactions. Additionally, the acidity of the candy can damage a dog's teeth and stomach lining.

How Many Sour Patch Kids Can Dogs Eat?

Ideally, zero. Even a small amount of Sour Patch Kids can pose risks. It's always better to avoid giving your furry friend any candy altogether. Even if it seems harmless to give them just one or two, it's not worth the potential health consequences.

Common Misconceptions

One common myth is that a little bit of candy won't harm a dog. While one Sour Patch Kid might not be immediately life-threatening, the cumulative effects of frequent sugary treats can be. Another misconception is that dogs can handle what we can, but their digestive systems are quite different and more sensitive.

Similar Toxic Products

Sour candies and other sugary sweets can be equally harmful to dogs. Here are some examples to be cautious about:

  • Gummy Bears: Loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients.
  • Fruit Snacks: Often contain added sugars and preservatives.
  • Candy Floss: Pure sugar and extremely harmful to dogs' teeth and metabolism.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Sour Patch Kids?

First things first: don't panic. But, do take swift action. Call your vet immediately for professional advice. Avoid inducing vomiting unless specifically instructed by a veterinarian. Keep an eye on your dog and prepare to describe their behavior to your vet.

Signs and Symptoms of Sour Patch Kid Poisoning in Dogs?

Watch for these signs if your dog has ingested Sour Patch Kids:

  • Vomiting: An immediate sign of gastrointestinal distress.
  • Diarrhea: Another indicator of digestive upset.
  • Excessive thirst and urination: Signs of elevated blood sugar.
  • Lethargy: Indicative of potential pancreatitis or severe digestive upset.

How Long After Eating Sour Patch Kids Will a Dog Get Sick?

Typically, symptoms may appear within a few hours of ingestion, but it can vary. The sooner you seek veterinary advice, the better.

When to Contact Your Vet for Advice?

Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten Sour Patch Kids, especially if multiple candies were consumed or symptoms appear.

How to Treat Sour Patch Kid Poisoning in Dogs?

If your dog has eaten Sour Patch Kids, a veterinarian may perform gastric decontamination, administer activated charcoal, or provide supportive care like IV fluids and medications. Recovery might take a few days of hospitalization, depending on the severity of symptoms.

Pet owners should be prepared for potential costs, which can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Pet insurance can significantly offset these expenses, providing peace of mind and financial relief.

What are Healthy Alternatives?

Instead of Sour Patch Kids, consider these dog-safe treats:

  • Carrot sticks: Crunchy and naturally sweet.
  • Apple slices: Remove seeds and core.
  • Blueberries: Packed with antioxidants and vitamins.


In summary, Sour Patch Kids are a definite no-go for dogs. The risks far outweigh any perceived benefits. Always consult with a vet for personalized advice, especially if your dog has specific health issues or dietary needs. Keep those candies out of paw's reach and opt for dog-friendly treats instead!